Tenuta Giol Serata Prosecco
2 in stock
Region: Jerez, Spain
Grape varieties: 100% Glera
Tenuta Giol Serata Prosecco is drier than typical Prosecco, with more mineral freshness and citrusy tang; it’s still got loads of charm and is easy-going.
Song: My Kinda Love by La Felix
2 in stock
Save 10% when you buy six or more bottles (mix and match)
About Tenuta Giol Serata Prosecco
Tenuta Giol Serata Prosecco is drier than typical Prosecco, with more crispy mineral freshness and citrusy tang; it’s still got loads of charm and an easy-going attitude.
About Tenuta Giol
Since 1427, on the Giol estate, wine professionals have been handing down from one generation to the next experience, traditions, and local culture related to winemaking. The old winery is a highly evocative place: seemingly untouched by time, it is a strikingly impressive building, set against a backdrop of age-old wisteria and lime trees alongside a gurgling spring.
Protected by walls over a meter thick, the Great Cellar has provided the ideal environment for aging fine wines since the days of the aristocratic Papadopoli family. Viewed from the outside, it is a large two-story building with impressive stone walls. The main facade features an entrance and ornately decorated window surrounded by local stone; the other two sides are characterized by river pebbles alternated with handmade bricks.
The ground floor features one of northern Italy’s most impressive and striking barrel ceilings. The cellar houses 78 barrels of different sizes (the largest holding an incredible 26,000 liters) protected by more than 220 closely spaced beams that support the vast granary above. Upstairs, one can appreciate the remarkable dimensions of this huge open space: 78 meters long and 18 meters wide: here, grain was dried and stored for centuries.
A complex, imposing truss structure supports the roof. During the First World War, the whole area came under Austrian occupation and the castle and winery became a military garrison. During this time, whole wheels of cheese were hidden inside the barrels to prevent them from being confiscated by the occupying forces. This explains the origin of a local cheese known as ubriaco or ‘drunken cheese.’ The presence of the troops is also documented by bullet marks still visible on several barrels: fortunately, they were thick enough to withstand the gunfire and protect their precious contents.
These five vaults form the oldest part of the winery. They have always been used to store our finest wines and are still used today for aging Cabernet in small oak casks and as a striking setting for welcoming visitors. The vaults are ideal for aging fine wines: twenty 210-liter casks, four 500-liter casks, and thirty-two 1200-liter barrels are protected by stone vaulted ceilings and walls over a meter thick, ensuring a constant temperature all year round. Inside the vaults, you can sample products and share in the satisfaction of having preserved such a precious historical heritage.
In 1427, following the conquest of the mainland, the Venetian Republic rewarded its commander-in-chief Nicolò Mauruzzi da Tolentino for his outstanding service in battle by promising him San Polo di Piave (including its farm and small castle) upon completion of his term of office. Nicolò married Isotta, the daughter of Francesco Sforza, but then was killed in battle. The promised reward was presented to Cristoforo, his son legitimized by Pope Martin V, who wanted to repay Nicolò for services rendered as gonfalonier of the Holy Roman Church. Cristoforo also won the favor of the Venetian Republic, defending Verona and taking Padua from Marsiglio di Carrara.
In 1452 the Doge, Francesco Foscarini, awarded Cristoforo the fiefdom of San Polo (and other assets) sized from the patriarchate of Aquileia. After the death of Cristoforo, San Polo passed to the Gabriel family, who retained ownership until the fall of the Venetian Republic on 12th May 1797, and Napoleon’s subsequent abolition of the feudal system. The abolition lasted only a few months as the Emperor of Austria, on taking possession of the former Venetian Republic, reinstated the feudal system, upon which the property was returned to the Gabriel family.
A few days after the death of the childless Angelo Maria Gabriel, Austria withdrew from the Venetian territories, which thus reverted to Napoleon, who promptly abolished the feudal system yet again. The estate passed into the hands of the Vivante family and subsequently the Papadopoli family, who were its owners at the outbreak of the First World War. The Austrians occupied San Polo after the defeat at the Battle of Caporetto and the castle, along with the winery, became a military garrison. Evidence of battle is still visible on the walls and barrels today.
In 1919 the whole complex was purchased by Giovanni Giol, who had only recently returned from Mendoza in Argentina, where he had emigrated at a very young age. He had built up a veritable empire and the largest winery in the world. He purchased the whole complex owned by the Papadopoli family back in Italy: the castle with its extensive grounds, the old winery, and a vast expanse of land.
Today his great-granddaughter Luisa proudly continues to defend this paradise with the help of her son Vittorio. The goal of safeguarding and protecting this unrivaled historical, cultural and environmental heritage lives on.